Mango Recipe Contest
- Deadline for entries has been extended to: Friday, July 20, 2012
- Entrants must pre-register by contacting the Beachhouse Food and Beverage Office at 923-2825 or emailing the registration form to [email protected]
- with the following information: name, address, phone (day/evening), email address, recipe and a release form for use of recipe by the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa for publicity purposes (this is noted on the bottom of the registration form)
Click here for the Mango Recipe Registration Form.
- Baked Goods (pies, cakes, cookies, crisps, tarts, torts, and any baked sweet)
- Mixed Plate (salsas, jams/jellies, sauces, pupu, entrees – anything other than a baked mango entrée, for example, would go in mixed plate)
- All food must be prepared for presentation to the judges by 10:00 a.m.
- Photography and judging begins at 10:00 a.m. (entrants and audience will be excluded from the room for a short period)
- Entrants are asked to provide two batches of the recipe:
One, in “full dress”, to be photographed and divided among the judges
(judges need very small servings; a total of “6” bites altogether)
The second batch is for the public tasting on a first-come, first-served basis
Recipes will be judged on the following:
Presentation (5 points)
Flavor/texture/mouth experience (6 points)
Originality and use of mangoes (4 points)
Mango Recipe Contest Coordinator, Wanda Adams, will act as a tie-breaker judge if needed.
First, second and third place winners will be recognized in each category and an overall winner will be chosen by judges’ consensus.
- Registration forms are required and must certify that the recipe is your own or give proper credit to the recipe’s original source (relative, magazine, website, etc.)
- Entrant must be present to win
- You may enter only once (only one category)
- Entrants release rights for recipes to be published in local media and on-line
- Recipes are meant to be made with local mangoes (specify variety, if important)
- Dishes must hold up for a period of time; if dishes require chilling, entrant must provide means of keeping items chilled during judging and presentation
- Provide (preferably typewritten) two (2) copies of the recipe with your name and phone number on each page (bring a couple of extra copies to the event, too)
To submit your recipe and registration form, you can do one of the following:
- Fax both your registration form and recipe to 808.924.4748 to Audrey Kamiya's attention or
- Provide it in typed form if you sign-up at the July 7th Mangoes at the Moana at Whole Foods Kahala tasting between 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., or
- Email to [email protected]
Entrants must bring their own:
- serving platters or bowls
- presentation flourishes
- serving utensils
The hotel will provide 5-inch disposable plates, napkins and eating utensils. If a recipe such as a sauce or salsa requires an accompaniment (crackers, breadsticks, chips, etc.), the entrant is responsible for bringing these.
Day of Registration Lani Kai Room/Tower Wing
Check-in begins at 8:00 a.m. (entrance to Lani Kai)
Pre-registered entries will be accepted between 8:00 and 9:45 a.m.
Entrants have until 10:00 a.m. to set-up their booth and presentation
Late entries will not be admitted
Judging: 10:00 a.m.
Awards: 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.